What's a Fondo?
"a short to long distance, organized, mass-participation cycling event, typically held annually. The Italian term gran fondo is commonly used for these events in the United States, Australia and some other English-speaking countries." ~ Wikipedia
According to the Rensselaerville Cycling Festival organizers, a Gran Fondo is:
"the best darn use of a bike since slicing bread and whole lot less dangerous!"
Those choosing to become a part of this soon-to-be-legendary day should expect to feel like pampered pros. This unforgettable ride will be shared with professional cyclists and hundreds of your favorite cycling buddies as it passes through historic hilltown villages and gorgeous farmland, skirting the Catskill Mountains in Upstate New York.
Highlights will include:
- A celebratory mass start lead by some of the Jamis - Hagens Berman Professional Cycling Team
- Distance options for every ability from those whose closets are 100% spandex to those who are pretty sure there is a bicycle somewhere in their basement
- Frequent, festive, well-stocked aid stations with treats and mechanical assistance
- Multiple Ride With GPS timed segments so cyclists can throw down and see how they stack up*
- Well-marked, well-manned routes with marshals and signage
- On-course neutral support from Shimano and the Jamis - Hagens Berman team car
- Sag (rescue) vehicles to help you back to the start if the day doesn't go according to plan
Gran Fondo entrants will receive:
- A beautiful, well-marked, and well-supported ride
- Access to all Festival events
- A ticket to the post-ride gourmet barbecue buffet
- A stylish event t-shirt that will make your friends jealous*
- A commemorative finisher's pint glass
- Raffle tickets for some really cool gear
- Special lodging rates on-site at the Carey Institute for Global Good
- Free parking
- Some pretty darn good memories and more
You should also know that the rides are well-insured and public safety and medical support will be available. Be sure to review all of our Rules & Polices. Safety first, people, safety first.
* In order to offer the 8-mile Festival Ride at a smokin' good deal, this distance does not include a t-shirt or timing segments.